Monday, September 23, 2013

The End's Beginning

Although it is the beginning of autumn, the school year, new TV shows -- all things I like very much -- this time of year never really feels like a beginning to me. There is a desperate melancholy that grips me tighter every year at this time, one that sometimes leaves me momentarily breathless, wondering to myself, "Why am I so sad?" Then I look around and realize that it's getting colder and darker and everything's dying, and how is that not sad, for crying out loud? 

Let's not dwell on that, though. Dwelling is for saps.

Instead, let's look at some of what happened around here this summer.

I had some pretty flowers growing outside the Hawthouse earlier in the season. Then the elk came through and ate them despite the clear warning of Zombie-With-Elk-Head.

The salad box did well this year.

Hahahahahaha. Zucchini. Hahahahahaha. 

When the beans were little. Gosh, they grow up so fast, and before you know it, they leave the vine and they're off to the freezer.  Sniffle.

The cole crops, good for humans and chickens alike.

The taters when they were pretty. They lose their looks, but they're only useful when they're older. Let that be a lesson to us all. 

I regret to inform you that I did not get a picture of the sunflowers at the height of their loveliness. I nearly wept when I was pulling the stalks out. Partly because I was overwhelmed and humbled by the size these achieved from just a little seed, and partly because my shoulder hurt from pulling.

This is our pet deer. I call her Dear.

OK, not really. The pet part, I mean. I do really call her Dear. She is encumbered by a radio collar. I'm not actually sure if it bothers her or not, but it seems like it would with the way it slides around on her neck because that would bother me, and I like to anthropomorphize whenever I can. The really, really fun thing about Dear is that...

...she has twins!!! We have watched the babes grow up this year as Dear brings them through on a very regular basis. The Big Guy even saved one of the twins from a pursuing coyote one day, and he made sure a part of the back fence was pushed down so they could get over when they were still tiny little things. It's hard to be sad when you're looking at little Dears. I still am, but it's hard.

Now for something actually sad. I'm sorry.

Terra, Terra, teenise paws, little cat with little claws.

Instead of pining for your Sissy when she passed away, you blossomed being the only kitty, becoming more cuddly and sweeter by the day. I felt guilty about that, but happy that you were getting your time in the sun at last. Then you suddenly lost your vision. Amazing how you adjusted to that and moved around almost the same as when you could see. 

You were always a tiny thing but were growing tinier by the day and losing interest in food no matter what I offered you. Then one night as we were preparing for bed, you wanted out on the deck, and I knew if I didn't let you go, no one was going to get any rest.

 So I let you go. 

Terra, Terra, teensie paws, little cat with little claws.


1 comment:

  1. I love this blog! Your remark about the taters and the lesson therein is priceless. Terra pic is sweet. She was so special because that is what you are. The coming of winter isn't on my list of favorite things, but I do like snuggling up in poofy blankets, cooking hot soups and finding all sorts of creative ways of making my own sunshine. When I painted ing the winter mural at Big Creek park, I learned a lot about where the wild creatures go during the cold times. It's fascinating to think about all that is underfoot and that makes me wonder at the survival of plants. All snuggled down in their "poofy blankets". Persephone will return when it's time. Mom

    ReplyDelete