Friday, July 29, 2011

Taking Root

You may recall two years ago when I dug out a ditch along my new greenhouse and transferred my languishing day lilies in hopes that they might finally make actual lilies. They had been given to me by my friend, Kit, shortly after we moved into this house, which means that for nearly 13 years, they had produced lovely leaves but no flowers. The following year, unfortunately, was no different for them -- leaves but no flowers.

This year, you may also recall, after the leaves had come up again, the elk came by for a snack. I figured these were going to be a lost cause, and I was pondering what else I might plant here once I pulled the stubborn things out. But then something happened...

Seemingly overnight, flower stalks appeared! They grew and grew, and I was certain that the elk would be along before they could open to chomp their heads off. But then something else happened...

They started to bloom!

And bloom again! By the looks of the stalks, there will be many a day with a lily.

Unlike the 13 years of day lilies, this is year one of turnips and rutabagas, year two of kohlrabi. If you didn't already know, like I didn't already know, turnip leaves are stabby! They have little prickers on them that feel like thorns but don't actually cut. Rutabaga leaves do not, even though in some countries they call rutabagas turnips. They do look an awful lot alike. The only rutabaga in this picture is front-left -- the one with all the dirt on it. The others are turnips and the two in front are a green and purple kohlrabi. The chickens went crazy for the kohlrabi greens.

Zuzu went crazy for the kohlrabi that she stole from the bucket while I was tossing the greens into the chickens. Sneaky pup.

No comments:

Post a Comment