Sunday, June 12, 2011

Antics & Herbs

Sometimes, it's hard to know what to blog about, and even when there might be something I think of to say, there aren't always corresponding pictures. Conversely, I often have photos, but no cohesive "theme." Not that there needs to be a theme, necessarily, but themes appeal to my sense of tidiness. Then there are posts like this in which I have cleverly taken seemingly unrelated photos and tied them together using only an ampersand.

Antics. There are six nest boxes, but 10 of the 11 hens prefer the bottom three. They will even line up sometimes, squawking impatiently for the occupants to hurry up. I guess Hazel, the black chicken on the left, couldn't wait this time. I know it was Hazel who wasn't the first one in this box for two reasons. One, Miss Hazel does not cotton to anyone else in the hen house when she is in there first. She emits a high-pitched screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee if another hen so much as peeks in the door. Two, that egg that has been pitched from the nest is Edith's.

Herbs. Tarragon.

Antics. Teensie pretending to be a strawberry.

Herbs. Sage.

Antics. Marigold in the plum tree. They do eat the leaves, but not so much that I have to worry about it so far. Sometimes they jump up to get the low ones. Have you ever seen a chicken jump? You should make a point of it. It's hilarious.

Herbs. Thyme.

Antics. Possum trying to hatch some eggs. Because she was hungry and really likes chicken.

Herbs. Oregano.

Antics. Agnes grooming Argalus. I've seen her do this before, and he tolerates it from only her. Other hens will get pecked for their troubles.

Herbs. Marjoram.

Antics. Possum on the grass pile. Not really funny, but who doesn't like a cute kitty picture?

Herbs. Chives.

Antics. Edith sporting the new saddle I made her. I blogged a bit ago about Clara's injury and subsequent saddle, and since that time, her wound has healed very nicely, but she, along with four of the other hens, have bare spots on their backs. We visited the coop under cover of darkness last night, and fitted the four with the cute new saddles.

These two, Opal and Marigold, didn't think the saddles were all that cute, and ditched them shortly after daybreak. They think if they can't see me, I can't see them...

Clara's has her likeness on it. I favor her and make no apologies for it. She's my puppy-chicken.

Marigold after she was re-captured and re-fitted. She hates it, and right after I took this pic, she was tugging at the elastic and trying to back out of it. I expect to find it in the yard come sunup.

Herbs. Rosemary with a marigold in front. The flower, not the chicken. The chicken Marigold would eat the rosemary. Chicken with rosemary is also good to eat. I told you it all ties together in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment